Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Forever more, Forever more


Literature?

Throughout my grammar school years we always had Scholastic Book Ordering Week. Maybe 2-3 times a year, we would get a pamphlet with small pictures of books along with a brief description. That was always a good week, because purchasing books was encouraged most of the time. In 5'th ( maybe 6'th ), "The Forever Formula" by Frank Bonham was a book I couldn't put down. The protagonist was a teenager who had a brain tumor, put to sleep then woken in the future. Trust me, this was before many previous books and movies had the same theme. This one hit me. Kind of like the television movie, "The Day After". Sometimes in rural Maine, I would just wait for the nuclear missile to annihilate my tiny town. Scary stuff for a child with an active imagination.

Tonight I turned off my laptop, the television, the Blackberry, the radio and listened. . . To what? Myself. What was important? For some reason, "The Forever Formula" came to brain. I was thinking about the book I currently am in the middle chapters of: "Margherita Dolce Vita" by Stefano Benni. It reminds me a bit like "Coraline". Margherita, a girl with an active imagination, a command of verse and words with a slightly eccentric family and new neighbors. It's also a book which I needed right now. A fresh, creative read with characters which leap up and think, "Who can play these characters in a movie?" Dario Fo, please tell me!
Maybe one day I will be lucky to secure the film rights to "The Forever Formula", just to say I did. Oh well, 3 . . .2 . . . 1, Power On.

No comments: